2012 was quite a year. With only one Top 5 and three Top 10s in eight races, our season surely didn’t go as well as we had hoped. We started out with a good run at Plymouth and a respectable showing at Winchester (for being there for the first time in a late model), but then the following race at Anderson we had some engine troubles that would put us out for the next three races.
Looking back at the rest of the year, I wasn’t overly concerned about our performance at Winchester–that track is all about seat time, and we accomplished that goal. I did, however, have high hopes for Lucas Oil Raceway and Anderson Speedway. With wrecks at Anderson and poor performance at LOR, we ended 2012 scratching our heads about what we needed to do in order to get better.
At the beginning of 2012, I started to talk to a friend of mine who races in the ARCA/CRA Super Series, and he offered to “update” my car with a new front clip (the 1/3 front portion of the chassis) and completely go through the entire car. Turns out, we needed a clip after all due to a hard wreck at Winchester in the final race of the season. The car was sent off last week, and I’m really excited to see the finished product.
2013 shaping up to be the best year yet for Timmerman Racing. We’re preparing for the announcement of a long-developed partnership with an Indianapolis-based company that will provide us with the ability to run at least 15 races this year. Couple that with major improvements to our race car and the return of almost all members of my dedicated team, our 2013 season is shaping up to be a bright one.
On a personal note, I’ve been doing a couple things this winter to keep myself occupied. I’ve recently become a “Big Brother” with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana. My “little” is Alex, a 10 year-old boy from Noblesville. We’ve been hanging out for the past few months and have recently started working on his Pinewood Derby car that we will compete with in February. He should be able to come to the races with us this year, so if you happen to stop by our pits, be sure to give him a High Five. He’s a great kid!
I’ve also been spending a lot of time working out. I try to envision myself and all my crew behind me as I lead them into battle. That is what this year is going to be–a hard-fought battle. Our goals are to run competitive and hopefully run away with a couple wins. I’ve been preparing myself mentally and physically to lead my team in 2013.
As always, I have to thank every single person that contributes to this operation:
- Mom and Dad have been there since day one, and I certainly couldn’t do it without them.
- Steve and Leslie Harley for all the administrative/marketing/garage storage help, among other things.
- Ryan Elliott and Joe Stewart for helping wherever they can.
- Bill & Kathy Schumaker for their support with our engines.
- Steve Ellis of Ellis Race Cars
- Terry Fisher Sr and Terry Fisher Jr of Fisher Fabrication
- Kraig Bontrager (Even though you’re moving on in 2013 to pursue your own racing dreams, you’re always still welcome with us!)
- Last but certainly not least, Families for HoPE . . . all the parents, children, and siblings who motivate and encourage this team to raise awareness and spread the joy and HoPE in life.
Thank you to everyone for allowing me to represent you and your business on and off the race track!
The 2013 CRA Sportsman schedule has been released, and our first race is Sunday, April 14th at Lucas Oil Raceway–a date that we all just can’t seem to wait for!